High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
High Density Polyethylene is a petroleum-based thermoplastic that is wear resistant and can have very high elongation before breaking. It is generally chemically resistant and can withstand rather high temperatures (120° Celsius for short periods).
- Beverage Industry: Caps and closures, milk jugs, refillable bottles.
- Consumer Products: Laundry detergent bottles, folding tables, folding chairs, modern hula hoops.
- Sporting industry: Portable basketball system bases, snowboard rails, and boxes.
- Commercial uses: Fuel tanks for vehicles, plastic lumber, storage sheds, containment of certain chemicals, corrosion protection for steel pipelines, ballistic plates.
- Pyrotechnics Trade: HDPE mortars are preferred to steel because they are more durable and much safer.
- Specific Gravity - .96g/cm
- Tensile Strength - 3980 psi
- Flexural Strength - 156000
- Impact Strength - 4.76 ft.-lb/in
- Excellent processibilty
- Good dimensional stability
- Good creep
- Some grades FDA approved
- Good impact resistance
- Good toughness
- Food contact acceptable
- Excellent mechanical properties
- Excellent odor performance
- Injection Molding
Call Project Engineering at (713)643-6577 or ask an engineer